Donate to the Lichtblau-Leskly Restoration Project
In order to accomplish the goal, we need your help as well as your referrals. Funds have already been pledged! Please donate online through the link below. Remember to select the designation "Lichtblau-Leskly Archival Restoration Project" from the drop down menu. Thank you in advance for helping with this special project.DONATE NOW!
They Shall Be Counted
Order your own copy of They Shall Be Counted on Amazon today! The book features the Theresienstadt Ghetto Art Of Erich Lichtblau-Leskly, which are featured in our Temporary Exhibit area in the Museum.CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
Erich Lichtblau-Leskly Collection
The Museum's Erich Lichtblau-Leskly Theresienstadt Collection of original paintings or ghetto-picture diaries is the largest collection of this artist's work. Through their technical excellence, the works reveal defiance, humor, satire, and indifference to the madness of the world run by the Nazi regime. Theresienstadt (Terezin), besides being a main incarceration center for the Central European Jews, also served as a place used to deceive the world that the Jews of Europe were alive and being treated well. The Nazi regime used it as a stage for filming propaganda and a tourist stop for international commissions. The Lichtblau-Leskly works capture the complications and ironies of Theresienstadt. They universally depict the fundamental desperation lurking in every moment of life in the show ghetto.
Erich Lichtblau-Leskly artworks significantly differ from a ‘typical' Holocaust graphic. Instead of a barbed wire, striped uniform, and death scenes, we see ghetto life through the prism of everyday errands and chores, depicted in grotesques and caricatures. Erich Lichtblau-Leskly convincingly challenges the Nazi anti-Jewish concepts by depicting and interpreting the ghetto life in a style he would use for a ‘normal' commercial advertisement in his prewar practice. In the spring of 1945, Erich Lichtblau-Leskly cut most of his pictures into pieces to protect himself and his wife. Fortunately, his wife hid these fragments, rescuing them for posterity. Our Collection includes these fragments as well as re-created watercolors done by the artist in Israel during the 1950s throughout the 1960s.
For more information about this special collection, please click here.
Edward Victor Collection
On October 17, 2011, Edward Victor donated his entire collection of synagogue and Holocaust philatelic materials to the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust. Mr. Victor has accumulated a large collection of materials over the years. This Collection comprises thousands of wartime documents and artifacts in the form of various correspondences.Please visit his website (http://www.edwardvictor.com/) to take a closer look at some of the pieces we received from Mr. Victor.
Reflections on the Holocaust Through a A Philatelic Collection: Ed Victor Papers, an article by Dr. Vladimir Melamad, Director of Archive, Library and Historical Curatorship can be found here.
Please see a selection of digitized letters from and to Oranienburg and Sachsenhausen concentration camps (RG-72.03.04) Auschwitz concentration camp (RG-72.03.06); Buchenwald concentration camp (RG-72.03.07) and various wartime identification documents (RG-72.04).
All these historic documents constitute only a small portion of Ed Victor Papers (RG-72) donated to the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust. They are catalogued and digitized by the Department of Archive, Library and Historical Curatorship, Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust.
Collection entitled RG-72.08, Correspondence from and to German Labor Service is multifaceted by content and form.
Nazi-German propaganda appealed to the population of German-occupied and controlled territories, making every effort to attract a volunteer manpower in German economy.
Many believed that working life in Germany could be a solution to multiple problems in the countries of their own. They volunteered for German Labor Service.
Volunteering was a typical process in the earlier years of the Second World War.
No later than 1943 the living conditioned of German civilian population significantly worsened. Proportionally, more and more people in the German-controlled territories realized that sooner or later Nazi Germany would lose the war. A stream of volunteers for the German Labor Service became extinct. Then the German Police and Civil Authorities in the occupied and controlled territories introduced a mandatory conscription for labor in Germany.
This Collection, comprising 88 documents in the form of letters, postcards, envelopes, package forms and other narratives, reflects the lesser known German Labor System of civilian labor camps, as well as specialized labor establishments for foreign workers. The content of correspondences, written in various European languages, varies from appreciation of the working life in Nazi Germany to rather negative attitude to the Nazi-German values and the mode of life.
The titles attached to the digitized documents render a basic information of a German laborer and his or her respondent.
- From Aldona Brylak (working at Germeinschaftslager, Augsburg) 0 to Janina Kulkowska in Milanowek, Poland, 8 December 1944. rg-720801-from-aldona-brylak-working-at-gemeinscha.pdf
- From Henryk Maczka, working at Hugo Scheider A.-G., Leipzig, to Jan Antoniak in Skarzysko-Kamienna, Poland, 29 April 1941. rg-720802-from-henryk-maczka-working-at-hugo-schei.pdf
- Postcard from Hanisiawa Jamroz in Chemnitz, Germany to Anastazja Jamroz in Krakow, Poland, 12 December, 1944. rg-720803-postcard-from-hanisiawa-jamroz-in-chemni.pdf
- Postcard from Chemnitz, Germany to Anastazja Jamroz in Krakow, Poland, 14 December 1944. rg-720804-postcard-from-chemnitz-germany-to-anasta.pdf
- Postcard sent from Furstenberg am Oder, Poland to Wladyslaw Legutko in Germany, 29 November 1944. rg-720805-postcard-sent-from-furstenberg-am-oder-p.pdf
- Postcard sent from Furstenberg am Oder, Poland to Wladyslaw Legutko in Germany, 16 December 1944. rg-720806-postcard-sent-from-furstenberg-am-oder-p.pdf
- Postcard sent from K. Belz in Germany to Janina Perkowska in Skierniewice, Poland, 18 November 1944. rg-720807-postcard-sent-from-k-belz-in-germany-to-.pdf
- Postcard from Karl Junnich in Posen (Poznan) to Jaroslav Brumlik in Prague, 15 Jume 1942. rg-720808-postcard-from-karl-junnich-in--posen-poz.pdf
- Postcard from Rammond Bunyand, sent from Stettin, Germany to France, 3 February 1944. rg-720809-postcard-from-rammond-bunyandsent-from-s.pdf
- Postcard sent from Zenon Szymanski in Breslau, Germany to Rela Szymanska in Pruszkow, Poland, 20 November 1944. rg-720810-postcard-sent-from--zenon-szymanski-in-b.pdf
- Postcard sent from Natalja Muszynska in Thorn (Torun) forced labor camp to Janina Kulikowska in Milanowek, Poland, 18 December 1944. rg-720811-postcard-sent-from-natalja-muszynska-int.pdf
- Postcard sent from Anrzej Kulikowski in labor camp in Augsburg, Germany to Janina Kulikowska in Milanowek, Poland, 29 October 1944. rg-720812-postcard-sent-from-anrzej-kulikowski-in-.pdf
- Postacard sent from Ida Groawc in Warthena, Upper Silesia, Germany to Sofi in Ober Alstadt, Sudentneland, 14 May 1943. rg-720813-postcard-sent-from-ida-groawc-in-warthen.pdf
- Postcard sent from Wladyslaw Krzyzanowski inLeipzig to Kazimier Aliechalski in Piastow, Poland, 28 December 1944. rg-720814-postcard-sent-from-wladyslaw-krzyzanowsk.pdf
- Postcard sent from Szyja Prywes in a labor camp Poniatowa, Poland to Alfred Schwarchbuam in Lousanne, Switzerland, 9 October 1943. rg-720815-postcard-sent-from-szyja-prywes-in-a-lab.pdf
- Postcard sent from Hanna Stawinska in a labor camp Neeislecht, Germany to Mian of Aid Council (Polish Rada Glowna Opiekuncza) in Krakow, 2 January 1945. rg-720816-postcard-sent-from-hanna-stawinska-in-a-.pdf
- Postcard sent from Dora Kaszuba in a labor camp Nowa Wola near Lodz to Polish Red Cross in Krakow, 29 July 1940. rg-720817-postcard-sent-from-dora-kaszuba-in-a-lab.pdf
- Postcard sent from Konrad Slaski in Burgweide transit camp to Jan Ziolbcowski in Krakow, 13 October 1944. rg-720818-postcard-sent-from-konrad-slaski-in-burg.pdf
- Postcard sent from Regina Piesmiak in Augsburg, Germany to Polish Main Aid Council in Krakow, 15 January 1945. rg-720819-postcard-sent-from-regina-piesmiak-in-au.pdf
- Postcard sent from Tadeusz to Sieniawski in Barackenlager, Berlin to Feliks Sieniawski in Wegrynow Stary, Poland, 18 November 1944. rg-720820-postcard-sent-from-tadeusz-to-sieniawski.pdf
- Postcard sent from Maria Kowalska in Thuringia, Germany to Stanislaw Sliwa in Pruszkow, Poland, 31 December 1944. rg-720821-postcard-sent-from-maria-kowalska-in-thu.pdf
- Postcard sent from Jerzy Sieniawski in Paderborn, Germany to Tadeusz Sieniawski in Reichsbahnlager, Berlin, 19 February 1945. rg-720822-postcard-sent-from-jerzy-sieniawski-in-p.pdf
- Postcard sent from Josef Trejsuar in Sangerhausen, Germany to Marie Ttejsuar in Bohemia and Moravia, 2 February 1945. rg-720823-postcard-sent-from-josef-trejsuar-in-san.pdf
- Postcard to Stanislaw Jukl in civilina work camp in Foeging am Inn, Germany, in Czech language, 7 June 1943. rg-720824-postcard-to-stanislaw-jukl-in-civilina-w.pdf
- Postcard sent to Maria Rittelil in Berlin-Neukoelln from Lubin, Poland, 13 September 1942. rg-720825-postcard-sent-to-maria-rittelil-in-berli.pdf
- Envelope from R. Heuchamps in Regensburg, Germany to Francois Heuchamps in Hounden-Goegnies, Belgium, 29 June 1943. rg-720826-envelope-from-r-heuchamps-in-regensburg-.pdf
- Envelope sent from Francois Heuchamps in Belgium to Robert Heuchamps in a civilian labor camp in Regensburg, Germany. rg-720827-envelope-sent-from-francois-heuchamps-in.pdf
- Postcard from a civilian work camp in Pretzsch, Germany to Kielce, Poland, 13 November 1944. rg-720828-postcard-from-a-civilian-work-camp--in-p.pdf
- Postcard sent from Maria Betz in female labor camp, Germany to Janina Perkowska in Skierniewice, Poland, 12 November 1944. rg-720829-postcard-sent-from-maria-betz-in-female-.pdf
- Postcard sent from Jozef Zwiroko in a labor camp for foreign workser in Kassel, Germany to Marian Dunski in Wojciechow, Poland, 8 February 1942. rg-720830-postcard-sent-from-jozef-zwiroko-in-a-la.pdf
- Postcard sent from Jozef Znotola in Brno to Jaroslav Juzotsky in Protektorat Bohemia and Moravia, 26 January 1945. rg-720831-postcard-sent-from-jozef-znotola-in-brno.pdf
- Postcard sent from Maryan Kaminski in a work camp (wiring) in Kornwestheim, Germany to the Polish Main Aid Council in Krakow, 10 January 1945. rg-720832-postcard-sent-from-maryan-kaminski-in--a.pdf
- Postcard from Maria Lwowska in Germany to Polish Main Aid Council in Krakow, 1 January 1945. rg-720833-postcard-from-maria-lwowska-in-germany-t.pdf
- Postcard sent from Lissa, Wartheland, Germany to Radom, Poland, 24 November 1944. rg-720834-postcard-sent-from-lissa-wartheland-germ.pdf
- Postcard sent from Lucjan Szkarkowski in a labor camp, Berlin-Spandau to Polish Main Aid Council in Krakow, 28 December 1944. rg-720835-postcard-sent-from-lucjan-szkarkowski-in.pdf
- Postcard sent from Albert Unterstab in a Special Camp A, in Bistrita, Bohemia and Moravia to Karl Unterstab in Prague, 4 April 1945. rg-720836-postcard-sent-from-albert-unterstab-in-a.pdf
- Picture postcard sent from a civilian work camp in Harzgerode, Germany to Fran Hynstova in Protektorate Bohemia and Moravia, 27 September 1944. rg-720837-picture-postcard-sent-from-a-civilian-wo.pdf
- Postcard from Stanislaus Komorowski in Hohenzalza camp to Anna Komorowska in Wolka, of Kosow Lacki disctrict, Poland, 24 March 1941. rg-720838-postcard-from-stanislaus-komorowski-in-h.pdf
- Two Postcards from Ivan Milukowa in Laband camp in Germany to Waria Millukowa in Donbass, Ukraine and from her to Ivan Milukow in Laband camp, August 1943. rg-720839-two-postcards-from-ivan-milukowa-in-laba.pdf
- Postcard sent from Abram Cegla in Jewish labor camp, Posen, Germany to Labor Department of the Lodz ghetto, 30 September 1941. rg-720840-postcard-sent-from-abram-cegla-in-jewish.pdf
- Postcard sent from Alesandre Gorbouline in the I. G. civilian work camp III in Ludwigshafen to T. Dietrich in Grenoble, France, April 1942. rg-720841-postcard-sent-from-alesandre-gorbouline-.pdf
- Postcard sent from Br. Dziedzic in Barackenlager in Berlin Grunewald to Kielce, Poland, 14 November 1944 (2). rg-720842-postcard-sent-from-br-dziedzic-in--barac.pdf
- Postcard sent from Br. Dziedzic in Barackenlager in Berlin Grunewald to Kielce, Poland, 14 November 1944. rg-720842-postcard-sent-from-br-dziedzic-in--barac-2.pdf
- Postcard sent from Katia Dawydjuk in Calbe Sale, Germany to Wasyl Dawydjuk in Stary Most, district Invakov, Ukraine, 9 January 1943 (2). rg-720843-postcard-sent-from-katia-dawydjuk-in-cal.pdf
- Postcard sent from Katia Dawydjuk in Calbe Sale, Germany to Wasyl Dawydjuk in Stary Most, district Invakov, Ukraine, 9 January 1943. rg-720843-postcard-sent-from-katia-dawydjuk-in-cal-2.pdf
- Postcard sent from Janina Banosiak in Tomaszuw Mazowiecki to Gozdzik Kazimiera in the labor cam Neheim Husten 1B1, 19 April 1943 (2). rg-720845-postcard-sent-from-janina-banosiak-in-to.pdf
- Postcard sent from Janina Banosiak in Tomaszuw Mazowiecki to Gozdzik Kazimiera in the labor cam Neheim Husten 1B1, 19 April 1943. rg-720845-postcard-sent-from-janina-banosiak-in-to-2.pdf
- Postcard sent from Jozef Sokolowski from a labor camp Ida in Waldenburg to Polish Main Aid Council (R.G.O.) in Krakow, 11 January 1945. rg-720846-postcard-sent-from-jozef-sokolowski-from.pdf
- Envelope sent to Venzel Trika in German Labor Front ( DAF) camp Gloshette in Jachs, Germany from Vlad Jagla in Bohemia, 13 July 1944. rg-720847-envelope-sent-to-venzel-trika-in-german-.pdf
- Envelope from Grossraming, Germany to Stefania in Zakopane, Poland, 10 July 1944. rg-720848-envelope-from-grossraming-germany-to-ste.pdf
- Envelope from Feliks Kipowski in Steyr, Germany to Zakopane, Poland, 03 January 1945. rg-720849-envelope-from-feliks-kipowski-in-steyr-g.pdf
- Postcard sent from Fedir Dziumka, village Rubljanka in Ukraine to Dmytro Dziumka in a labor camp Jiefban, Waldenburg, Germany, 24 July 1943. rg-720850-postcard-sent-from-fedir-dziumka--villag.pdf
- Postcard from Jozef Schtybel inModrou, Germany to H. Schtybel in Zarki, Poland, 16 February 1941. rg-720851-postcard-from-jozef-schtybel-inmodrou-ge.pdf
- Postcard from Ekenne Blechhamme in a Heydbreck labor camp, Germany to Paris, France, 22 January 1944. rg-720852-postcard-from--ekenne-blechhamme-in-a--h.pdf
- Postcard from J. Leiss in Camp 39, Postelberg, Saar, Germany to Marta Leiss in Theresienstadt, 14 March 1945. rg-720853-postcard-from-j-leiss-in-camp-39-postelb.pdf
- Postcard from Jan in Brno, Bohemia to Jaroslav Dadak inPostelberg IIF Labor camp, Germany, 6 March 1945. rg-720854-postcard-from-jan-in-brno-bohemia-to-jar.pdf
- Postcard from from Alesandre Gorbonline in civilian Labor Camp of the I..G in Ludwigshafen am Rhein, Germany to to T. Dietrich inGrenoble, France. rg-720855-postcard-from-from-alesandre-gorbonline-.pdf
- Envelope from Jacques Taponier in civilian labor camp in Rathenow, Germany to Laponier in Paris, France,, 31 March 1944. rg-720856-envelope-from--jacques-taponier-in-civil.pdf
- Postcard from Wladyslaw Krzyzanowski in a civilian labor camp in Leipzig, Germany to Dr. Kazimierz Alichalski in Piastów, Poland, 28 December 1944. rg-720857-postcard-from-wladyslaw-krzyzanowski-in--2.pdf
- Postcard from a civilian labor camp in Harzgerode, Germany to Fran. Hynstova in Vronovy, Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia , 26 September 1944. rg-720858-postcard-from-a-civilian-labor-camp-in-h.pdf
- Postcard from Albert Binehamps in a civilian labor camp in Wetzlar, Germany to Binehamps in Brussels, Belgium, 11 August 1944. rg-720859--postcard-from--albert-binehamps-in-a-ci.pdf
- Envelope from Ania Vrublevska in the village Morozov, Ukraine to Anton Wrublewski in the labor camp Niessen - Werke in Vienna, Austria. rg-720860-envelope-from-ania-vrublevska-in-the-vil.pdf
- Envelope from Ivan H. Ferenchuk in the village of Morozov, Ukraint to Ivan I. Ferenchuk in Yuzenleithenz labor camp in Vienna, 4 December 1942. rg-720861-envelope-from-ivan-h-ferenchuk-in-the-vi.pdf
- Envelope from Maria Zbroja from Kocmyrzow, Poland to Jochan Zbroja in a labor camp Wahtlager in Lebenstadt, Germany, 26 May 1940. rg-720862-envelope-from-maria-zbroja-from-kocmyrzo.pdf
- Postcard from Ida Groavc in Wathenau to Sofi Putersornyt in a labor camp No. 1 in Ober Altstadt, Germany, 14 May 1945. rg-720863-postcard-from-ida-groavc-in-wathenau-to-.pdf
- Envelope sent to Venzel Trika in German Labor Front ( DAF) camp Gloshette in Jachs, Germany from Vlad Jagla in Bohemia, 13 July 1944 (2). rg-720864-envelope-sent-to-venzel-trika-in-german-.pdf
- Postcard from Stanislaus Komorowski in Hohenzalza camp to Anna Komorowska in Wolka, of Kosow Lacki disctrict, Poland, 24 March 1941. rg-720865-postcard-from-stanislaus-komorowski-in-h.pdf
- Postcard from Ivan Miliukov in Labor Camp No. 3 in Laband, Germany to Warfa Milukow in village Kramatorskaia in Donbass Region, Ukraine, 15 March 1943. rg-720866-postcard-from-ivan-miliukov-in-labor-cam.pdf
- Postcard from Paul Singer in Prague to Marie Singer in Brno, 9 January 1945. rg-720867-postcard-from-paul-singer-in--prague-to-.pdf
- Postal confirmation from Dąbrowa Tarnowska, Poland to Germany, sent from Josef Fuks to Icek Fuks in Germany, 8 December 1941. rg-720868-postal-confirmation-from-dbrowa-tarnowsk.pdf
- Postcard from Inz. Jozef Metzis in Drohobych, Poland to Karl Fuch in Dubová Nemecka, Slovakia, 19 November 1941. rg-720869-postcard-from-inz-jozef-metzis-in-drohob.pdf
- Postcard from F. Prosek in HASAG labor camp in Meuselwitz, Germany to Jozef Prosek in Bohemia, 14 May 1943. rg-720870-postcard-from-f-prosek--in-hasag-labor-c.pdf
- Postcard from Bronislawa Pietrusrewska in Zittau to Anna Sliwa in Pruszkow, Poland, 18 December 1944. rg-720871-postcard-from-bronislawa-pietrusrewska-i.pdf
- Envelope from Teodor Waricha in in Altenhoefen labor camp in Germany to Stanislaw Chelchowski in Lublin, postmarked 27 December 1943. rg-720872-envelope-from-teodor-waricha-in---in-alt.pdf
- Postcard from Zenon Zarnowski in the labor camp Eiche, Germany to A. Piekarska in Konskie, Poland, 5 December 1944. rg-720873-postcard-from-zenon-zarnowski-in-the-lab.pdf
- Postcard from Bronislawa Piedrusrewska in Zittau to Anna Sliwa in Pruszkow, Poland, 28 November 1944. rg-720874-postcard-from-bronislawa-piedrusrewska-i.pdf
- Envelope from Felicjan Kuzniarski in Mielec to the passport office of the General Government in Krakow, postmarked 11 November 1941. rg-720875-envelope-from-felicjan-kuzniarski-in-mie.pdf
- A packagef form sent from Schenkenforf in Wartheland, Poland to Skotarezak in the Druette labor camp, the subcamp of Neuengamme, Germany, 3 July 1944. rg-720876-a-packagef-form-sent-from-schenkenforf-i.pdf
- A package form sent from Strzemieszyce to Daniel Jenslryczek in Druette labor camp, the subcamp of Neuengamme, 23 September 1944. rg-720877-a-package-form-sent--from-strzemieszyce-.pdf
- A package form sent from Brzeznica to Wojcech Meissner in Druette labor camp, the subcamp of Neuengamme, 3 November 1944. rg-720878-a-package-form-sent-from-brzeznica-to-wo.pdf
- A package form from Johann Kleejnot in Zory (Sohrau), Poland to Alois Klejnot in Druette labor camp, the subcamp of Neuengamme, June 1944. rg-720879-a-package-form-from-johann-kleejnot-in-z.pdf
- Postcard from Wladyslaw Krzyzanowski in Leipzig-Wahren civilian labor camp to Krystyna Krzynowska in Brwinow, Poland, 29 November 1944. rg-720880-postcard-from-wladyslaw-krzyzanowski-in-.pdf
- A package sent from Konin district, Poland to Anton Ademczewski in Druette labor camp, the subcamp on Neuengamme, 22 December 1944. rg-720881a-package---sent-from-konin-district-pola.pdf
- A package form sent from Paul Biesielski in Lissa (Leszno), Poland to Ludwig Biesielski in Druette labor camp, the subcamp of Neuengamme , 9 August 1944. rg-720882-a-package-form-sent-from-paul-biesielski.pdf
- Postcard from Maria Betz in the female camp Schneiderfelde, Germany to Janina Perkowska in Skierniewice, Poland, 30 November 1944. rg-720883-postcard-from-maria-betz-in-the-female-c.pdf
- A postcard from the concentration camp Herzogenbosch in Netherlands to the Jewish Community Council in Amsterdam, 29 October 1943. rg-720884-a--postcard-from-the-concentration-camp-.pdf
- Postcard from Jerzy Sieniawski in railway labor camp located in Berlin to Feliks Sieniawski in Czestochowa, Poland, 28 December 1944. rg-720885-postcard-from-jerzy-sieniawski-in-railwa.pdf
- Postcard from Gitla Sara Borensztajn in Dombrowa, Upper Silesia, Poland to Gitla Sara Rubin in the camp for women in Gellenau, Germany, 16 April 1943. rg-720886-postcard-from-gitla-sara-borensztajn-in-.pdf
- Postcard from Richard Schwarzkopf in a labor camp in Sawin, Poland to Rudolf Hirsch in Brnoe, the Protectorate Bohemia and Moravia, 29 September 1942. rg-720887-postcard-from-richard-schwarzkopf-in-a-l.pdf
- Letter from Konstantin Curezk in the labor camp Oberonau, Austria to Sophie Curezk in Sosnowiec, Poland, 20 December 1943. rg-720888-letter-from-konstantin-curezk-in-the-lab.pdf